What Is Occupational Health?
Occupational health is dedicated to the well-being and safety of a company’s biggest asset — it’s employees. Healthcare professionals in this specialty field of medicine are focused on both the physical and mental health of the more than 150 million Americans that make up the U.S. workforce. They work with companies in all lines of work, from factories to traditional office spaces.
To help prevent illness and injury in the workplace, professionals in the occupational health field monitor the health of the workforce and study how employees work and how they could work safer. As part of the field, an occupational health professional might also work with a company to ensure they are compliant with safety regulations from Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) or other governing bodies. They will also advise a company on ways to adjust or improve working conditions.
What Is an Occupational Health Check?
Occupational health services will also work with your company to conduct required health screenings, called an occupational health check. A health check or health assessment is a health screening tool to determine an employees ability to do a specific job and if they are suitable for that role. The goal of these checks is to determine if an individual is suited for a job and to further prevent injury and disease at the workplace. These checks are more common for jobs that require a special physical ability, such as heavy lifting.
Employers may require occupational health checks throughout an employee’s tenure at an organization. This is especially true, for example, if your job requires you to deal with hazardous materials or if you have been absent from work due to an illness or injury suffered in the workplace.
Our Occupational Health Services
Occupational Health goes beyond simply treating injuries. On top of traditional occupational health, we also serve local employers by providing services such as accident prevention, medical treatment, workplace wellness, physical therapy and rehabilitation, safety evaluations, pre-employment screenings and more. All of the services are backed by the staff and resources of Cameron Hospital, including 24-hour emergency room care, rehabilitation service and community health.
When workplace injuries do occur, our Occupational Health staff helps assess the cause, including current workplace conditions, personal health history and external factors. The goal of our Occupational Health clinic is to accurately diagnose and treat while minimizing costs, hassles and disruptions associated with managing the medical care for employees.
The tables below outline services we offer both onsite and at our hospital campus. Keep in mind that we can customize an occupational health plan that is well-suited to your workplace.
- DOT Exam | $85. Detailed physical exam by a CME, medical history review, urinalysis, assessing strength, flexibility and range of motion.
- Pre-Employment Exam | $55. Detailed physical exam, medical history review, assessing strength, flexibility and range of motion.
- Wellness Physical | $55. Detailed physical exam, medical history review, assessing strength, flexibility and range of motion, orders for basic lab draws, BMI.
- Return to Work | $55. Detailed physical exam to evaluate employee’s ability to return to work, after a non work-related illness/injury clearance paperwork required.
- Respirator Medical Exam | $60. Medical evaluation for clearance to wear a respirator. (Fit Testing not included)
Additional Physical Exams
- Lift Test | $15
- Back Exam | Included
- Audiogram | $35
- Ishihara | $10
- Jaegger | $10
- Snellen | Included
- Stereofly | $10
- Grip Strength | Included
- Urinalysis | $25
- EKG (performed at Cameron Hospital) | $304.58
- Spirometry Only (performed at Cameron Hospital) | $343.59
- Industrial Spirometry (performed at Cameron Hospital) | $109.51
- Costs vary depending on plan of care or type of injury.
- Injury Management. Evaluation and treatment of work related injuries including initial injury care, restrictions and follow up care.
- Physical Therapy. Cameron Rehabilitation.
- X-ray and Digital Imaging. Performed for injury treatment or diagnostic reasons.
Drug and Alcohol Screening
- Non-Regulated Urine | $46. 5 panel or 10 panel option
- Regulated Urine (DOT) | $56. 5 panel
- Rapid | $38. 13 panel, quick results after collection
- Collection Services | $26.25. Urine collection utilizing lab and MRO of TPA/Company choice
- Breath Alcohol | $35. Regulated or non-regulated, post-accident, random, reasonable suspicion, initial injury treatment. With confirmation testing for additional charge
- Urine Alcohol Performed | $15. Performed in addition to the 10 panel drug screen
- Flu Shot | Costs Vary. Protect essential and high risk workers from influenza
- Vaccines | Costs Vary. Shingles, Hepatitis A, B, C and Varicella, MMR, Rubella, Measles, Mumps, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Toxoids, Pertussis
- Titers | Costs Vary. Blood test to determine immunity to vaccinations or diseases (performed at Cameron Hospital Lab)
- TB Test | $25. Mantoux (test for skin reaction and requires recheck within two days) or Quantiferon (blood draw)
Onsite Specialty Services
- Stretching Programs | Costs Vary. Offered on-site to help prepare and condition employees for work and assist in injury prevention (provided by Cameron Rehab Center).
- Heartsaver First Aid | Costs Vary. First Aid Basics, Medical, Injury, and Environmental Emergency (can be included with CPR)
- CPR & AED | $60/Person + $100 Onsite Fee. Give CPR & AED, assist choking victim
- Blood Borne Pathogen Training | Costs Vary. Training at location by qualified instructor
- Health Risk Assessments | Costs Vary. Customizable based on company needs
- Onsite Drug Screening. See Drug and Alcohol Screening section above
Meet Our Occupational Health Specialists
Dr. Brandon Russell
Director of Ocuupational Health
Dr. Brandon Russell is a board-certified emergency medicine physician with over 15 years of experience in his field. As a lifelong student of science, Dr. Russell received his Bachelor of Science from Michigan State University in 1996 before graduating from the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2001. He completed his EM Residency at Garden City Hospital in Garden City, Michigan, in 2005. Dr. Russell was a previous owner of a home health care business. Also, Dr. Russell ran disability clinics for the state of Michigan.
Serving as the Cameron Hospital Director of Occupational Health, Dr. Russell uses his extensive experience to serve patients of the Angola, Indiana community with compassion and comprehensive care.
We can custom-tailor programs to fit your needs. Effective 8-16-21, Occupational Health will now be located at 1381 N Wayne Street, Angola IN (located inside Cameron Urgent Care). For more information on all available industrial services, please contact Occupational Health by phone at 260-667-5613 or email.
Speak to Our Occupational Health Team
©2019 Cameron Memorial Community Hospital
416 E. Maumee Street, Angola, IN 46703